Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hummus and Home Grown Chicken...

I have been on vacation, but I am home and ready to hit the computer keys. It was nice to get away, but it is always great to get back to your own bed!

I have been cooking like crazy...a clean kitchen really helps to produce great meals.

Made brown beans with ham hocks....home made corn bread and fried potatoes.  I soaked the beans in water all night.  This really did create a creamier bean....the gravy from the beans was thick and rich.  The smoke flavor from the ham hocks laced the beans and they were so good.  I love my spilled over cornbread and the soaked bread is almost like a pudding.

Then Sunday Night....

I took our last home grown chicken, cut the back bone out and open it up.  Then I rubbed the bird with olive oil than about a cup of Z'atar seasoning.  Rub it under the skin as well.  Brown the bird in an oven proof skillet....flip the bird skin side up and roast it in the oven at 400 degrees till it is 160 internally and the juices run clear.

Home Made Hummus

2 cans of garbanzo beans, drained
1/2 c of tahini paste (can be found at most any store now)
1 T ground cumin
1 T Z'atar seasoning
1-2 t. of garlic salt
juice from on lemon
olive oil

Place everything in a food processor or blender.  Blend till smooth add the olive oil to thin it out a bit.  Taste and adjust the seasoning to your taste.

Take about 8 pitas, brush them with olive oil and sprinkle lots of the Z'atar seasoning over them.  Pop them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes.

Serve the pita with hummus spread on it topped with the chicken.  You can also serve olives and those tiny dill pickles on it.  A fresh vine ripe tomato diced up would be a great addition to the meal.

This was all eaten with great relish and gusto at our house.  I had very little hummus, no pita and 1/2 of the chicken.  Which got turned into my Son's famous chicken salad for Monday's dinner.  Way to hot to cook.

Today is my Son's 22 birthday....we are cooking out hamburgers and corn on the cob, baked potatoes, grilled veggies and tomatoes.  Cheesecake for dessert...just have to find a great cheesecake.

No comments:

Post a Comment